Monday, January 25, 2010

Miss You and Bye Gizmo

This is my week at Growing in Unity.  I will be posting something using Unity stamps every day this week so be sure to come back each day to see what I have!   This Grainy background is probably my most used Unity stamp, I love it!  The little owl is from the July KOTM, isn't he a cutie!  For this card I was also inspired by the Moxie Fab Tuesday Trigger.

Cardstock: CTMH
Kraft: PTI
Ribbon: Stamp Simply
Punch: Fiskars
Letter Stickers: American Crafts
gems: Hero Arts


Now here is this weeks sketch from The Scrappiest:   Remember it is your last week to play for a chance at the Studio Calico Home Front Collection!

For my layout I had to use some purple, and I am still trying to get rid of some old stock of paper, so this is for Teri's Old Stuff Challenge.  These papers are from MAMBI.  The hearts were cut with my Cricut (Plantain Schoolbook), the butterflies from my Slice (Just Chillin) and the Flower (Spring) .  I also used some Unity stamps for the sentiment and journaling strips.  This is also for the Practical Scrappers challenge - Pattern Paper.
 

Gizmo (a hamster) was the first pet that Danica lost.  She was devastated.  I let her stay home from school and I used a sick day to stay home with her.  We decorated a box to keep some of Gizmos special things in (Danica still has that) and Danica found the purple box - it is what Gizmo was to be buried in.  When Jason hot home from work we had to have a 'funeral' for Gizmo.  Unfortunately that was the beginning of a few animal passings, later on that spring one of our bunnies was eaten by a cougar, in the summer we had to put Sasha (our dog ) down at the age of 14, Ragweed, another hamster died (one of Gizmo's babies - a long story there - 'we only put the hamsters together once mom' when a litter of 10 hamster babies arrived one easter!) and in the fall Danica's cat, Belle disappeared (we think a cougar got her).  Danica has gotten 'used' to animal deaths and doesn't have to miss school anymore.  Just last week our second bunny died - hopefully just of old age.

27 comments:

~amy~ said...

Your card is fabbie...the colors rock and I love that owl...great layout...

Kathi Carlson said...

Love your blue/green card, and your layout is great - a wonderful tribute to Gizmo.

Jeanne said...

Great card, very soothing. And what a lovely way to pay tribute to a beloved pet. I'm sure it comforted Danica and helped her be strong for the losses that followed. It's so hard to lose a friend, especially in the way some of them must have passed.

Bananastamper said...

Great owlie card and a beautiful layout for Gizmo! I remember when my son's first fish died, he sobbed for a very long time. True though, they have to have the experience at some point. How nice that you were able to be with her through that first experience.
Shanna

Stephanie Zito said...

Beautiful projects Laurel! Oh my, such a sad experience for your dd! Big hugs go out to her. It's very touching that you were able to scrap about it and such a keepsake for her to look back on in the future. I had to laugh at your comment about the hamsters being together only once and then having 10 babies!

Unknown said...

I fell in love with this sketch from The Scrappiest the moment I saw it. I have not had time to create anything with it but I have been eagerly awaiting what you would do. As always, you did NOT disappoint! Beautiful as always. And, what a tender subject!

Rachel B said...

What a sad thing when that first pet dies. What a great way to pay respects to that sweet love! I am sorry to hear that so many of those beloved pets passed on so quickly. Hopefully your furry luck will increase from now on. No more Cougars running around I hope! Love the layout and that card is adorable!

Karla Kroese said...

Great card, Laurel! The tribute layout is touching, and something that needed to be documented. Thanks for sharing!

Sparkplug17 said...

Such lovely projects!

Danderella said...

Great card, and I love your layout. Your story is great, and I'm glad that you included it. We have a Hamster and I'm not sure what my 7 year old will do when he passes...I can definitely see a funeral in our future!

Unknown said...

Aw, such a sweet and touching little story about Gizmo. This layout is fab...link it up to Practical Scrappers, patterned papers. Love the background stamp adn the blue...gorgeous!
Blessings,
Kim xXx

Unknown said...

cute cute card and layout, so adorable

stampjourney said...

Great projects! Love the background and your take on the sketch. Sorry to hear of the animal tragedies, too.

yyam said...

Ooh...I really love the card Laurel! That owl is just perfect! :)

Unknown said...

Oooh, that wood grain stamp on the blue c/s looks fantastic Laurel! Oh my gosh, your story was never ending...so glad your daughter is okay with all of that...I don't know that I would have been! Thanks for sharing today!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Always love coming to your blog--lots and lots of inspiration:) Great card--loving the owls! TFS:)

Sarah said...

That card ROCKS!!!
Your LO is perfect...As I read the post I was taken back to our hamster deaths....always a heart breaker.

Sharli Schaitberger said...

You are such a good Mom. We need to help our children learn about death and how to cope with the sadness. You did that in such a beautiful way.

magicwanda said...

Awwww
This is so touching and what a great mom you are for doing this for your child. Very Nice layout.
Thanks for joining us @ Practical Scrappers Wanda:)

laterg8r said...

love that blingedy owl :D

Heidi M said...

Great job with the card and layout! Love that owl and the patterned paper on the layout. Sorry about all your animal passings.
Thanks for joining our challenge at Practical Scrappers.

farmhouse-story said...

love your owl card, laurel! sorry about the bunny...

Angie Blom said...

wonderful projects..
love that card!!

Gwen said...

I've been looking all over for the growing in unity gals. finally caught up with you and it is wed. already! Great card! Cute little owl with that woodgrain background!

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurel!
So glad you were inspired to take part in the challenge. It's a great layout, and a sad, sad subject. So sorry for your little one. Sigh.

Teri
Paper Crafts Go-to-Gal

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Laurel! What a fun approach to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! Thanks so much for playing along! :)

Windy Robinson Life Handmade said...

Fun card for the Tuesday Trigger!

01 09 10